“Just Add Grass” Tour Dates:
- May 26, 2018 REGISTER
- More dates TBA
Costs: $10 per person, and $5 per child 12 and under. Each tour starts promptly at 10:00 and will last about an hour and a half.
Farm Rules during your tour:
- Leave every gate like you found it.
- Re-read rule number 1 so you don’t forget it.
- Treat all electric fence (smooth aluminum wire) as if it is HOT!
- Unattended children may get eaten by the pigs.
- Please don’t tamper with water lines, waterers and feeders.
- Have fun! Ask questions!
Here is a basic overview of our operations with information about each:
- We raise cornish-cross meat birds.
- It takes about eight weeks to get them to processing size.
- They start in the brooder and stay there about two and half weeks.
- Then they move them out onto pasture for the remainder of the time.
- We use portable shelters to protect the birds, and we move the shelters every day (yes, every day).
- We process the chickens right here on the farm, and they taste great! You can take one home with you!
- We have mixed breeds of laying hens ranging from Barred Rock to Golden Comets.
- Our kids gather the eggs every day, and we do refrigerate them.
- We move the chickens to fresh pasture once a week using the eggmobile and portable electric netting.
- The netting protects them from ground predators and keeps them together.
- We have mixed breeds of beef cows, and they only eat grass (hay in the winter).
- We sell most of our beef on cow shares.
- We practice rotational grazing, and we move the cows every other day using portable electric fencing.
- Our newest addition so we are still learning.
- We are starting them out near the house until they are trained to electric fencing.
- Once trained, we will move them around the farm as well.
- The waterers, feeder, and shelter are all homemade and portable.